Monday, August 31, 2009

First day of School

Well boys and girls its been a couple of days, but classes are starting up so I am losing my infinite hours of free time were reduced by about half, if even. But anyways lets go over the first day of class… I had my Australian life and Culture class for the first time. It wasn’t the most exciting class and I had a cold (which I think I have completely recovered from at this point) so I had a lot of trouble paying attention. But it was only a couple of hours so it wasn’t that bad and the first half the professor tried to get to know us better. After the lecture we all went back and prepared for our field trip to the rain forest!!! On the bus ride up to the forest I talked with one of our Australian professors (Lyn) for an hour or so. He and I talked about Australia and his thoughts on healthcare in Australia. Once we got there we had the pleasure of trying Crocodile, Kangaroo, and some Australian fish in a classic bush tucker meal. The kangaroo and the fish were both excellent but I wasn’t a big fan of the croc. We hung around at the camp (which was a publicly funded environmental education facility for children) for a while and then took a trip to the rain forest. The rain forest was pretty cool but the bus driver was on a schedule so we stopped at a couple spots for about 2 seconds then turned around and left. It was kind of annoying because I really wanted to explore the forest more, but such is life. We then headed back to the camp and explored the grounds. We ended up listening to the guy that owned to place talk about the camp and what they were doing with it for the children. Eventually we ended up at lake where the wild PLATYPUS resides. We waited there for about an hour or so and no dice. It was kind of a disappointing field trip all around, but we did get to throw around a boomerang, which was fun. But that was pretty much all that happened the first day of class, pretty lame but still a bad day in class in Australia is better than a good day of class in the states… There is talk however of going back to the rain forest so we can actually spend some time exploring and whatnot, which would be stellar because one of the sites that we stopped had an amazing view with people at the bottom of it (which would be fun to explore). I know this is only to Monday of last week but no worries because I don’t have class tomorrow and plan on getting caught up… so ya more tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment